Wednesday, July 28, 2021

What is Protocol or Define Protocol

In this tutorial, we are going to learn what is protocol in networking. How the protocol works in the network?

When a device or a computer plays a role as a server then that computer or device going to the listening mode with the help of some protocol while holding a certain port number. Using some protocols the server keeps listening to whether a client is bringing a request through that port number.

Now the question is what is the protocol?

A protocol is a set of rules that allows two or more devices to communicate with each other. As I am writing this tutorial using the English language so I am following all the rules and regulations for writing in English. For example, when I finished writing such a line then I am using the full stop sign (.). The means of this full stop sign is my line is complete. Or when I talked to someone using the English language while speaking I am pronouncing the English alphabet. Now if the other person knows the English alphabet like me, only then that person will be able to talk to me. That person will understand if I stop for a while during talking then what will be the meaning, what alphabet have to use to explain something. We can call this a set of rules of speech. This kind of set of rules that I know as well as other persons know. Due to which communication between us is being established.

So this kind of set of rules we can call a protocol. We are human beings. We have also some protocols to talk to each other. Such as Engish, French, Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, etc.

We can establish communication among others as long as we both of the person can understand the same protocol or language. Otherwise, communication can't be established. If someone speaks using French and I don't understand it, we won't have a communication build.

In the same way, a computer must have the same protocol to communicate with another computer or another device. Otherwise, the communication will not be established. The protocols for computer communication are TCP/IP, IPX, AppleTalk, etc. These are also called protocol suites. Because they have been named after a combination of multiple protocols. So that is the protocol in a computer network.

The communication will be established only when these protocols match between the two devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment